In the past 12 months the IEA has experienced a period of expansion and growth across our publications, events, international and student outreach programmes, communications and fundraising. In 2015 we will celebrate our 60th anniversary and we have exciting plans, which include fundraising, to mark this milestone and secure the IEA’s future for the next 60 years.
It is in this context that we welcome applicants for the role of Development Officer to drive and support fundraising at the IEA. With particular focus on proposal and update writing, this exciting new position will play a key role in seeking and securing gifts from foundations, companies and individuals.
If you are passionate about free markets, are an excellent written and verbal communicator and enjoy working in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment, we hope you will consider this role.
Background to fundraising at the IEA
We are an educational charity and the vast majority of our income comes from charitable donations - from companies, individuals and charitable trusts. As such fundraising plays a vital role in seeking and securing donations to fund the IEA’s work.
· Work with the Head of Development to identify, cultivate and make applications to charitable trusts and foundations in the UK and abroad.
· Draft proposals for individual and corporate asks and event sponsorship opportunities.
· Work closely with the editorial and programme teams to retrieve information for proposals, charitable trust applications and donor updates.
· Draft a general updates to highlight IEA activities and impact.
· Work with the Head of Development to explore and potentially establish a high level direct mail campaign.
· Build and maintain a bank of IEA facts, figures and testimonials to be used for proposals and marketing purposes.
· Manage and drive recruitment to the IEA’s young professional giving club “i on the Future”, working with the Student Outreach Officer to identify and cultivate potential members, organise twice yearly dinners and use social media platforms to promote “i on the Future” membership.
· Work with the IEA’s Database Manager and Head of Development on screening and prospect identification projects.
· Attend fundraising meetings with donors and prospects as appropriate.
· Draft thank you letters and ensure they are sent in a timely manner.
· Work with the Head of Development to ensure donors are receiving appropriate updates and to identify upcoming research and activities that could be of interest.
· Oversee mailings of publications to donors and prospects
· Work with the Head of Development to maintain and improve the donor database and maximise its use to support fundraising.
· Assist with the planning and implementation of events to thank and inspire our donors and introduce prospects to the work of the IEA.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Experience writing proposals for charitable trusts, individuals or corporations
· 2-3 years’ work experience
Knowledge & Skills
· Understanding of and sympathy for free markets
· Excellent writing skills; ability to collate information and translate into proposals
· Excellent proof reader
· Superior attention to detail
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The IEA provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including a personal pension which matches up to 5% of salary, death & service, critical illness, group income protection, private medical insurance coverage, flexible working hours and 25 paid holidays per annum.
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with attention to Caroline Rollag, Head of Development. No phone calls, please.. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.
For anyone interested in one of our internship programmes (the IEA offers operational, communications and research internships), please see our interns page here.